First of all, not all Nokia phones can be formatted by the so called Formatting codes (do not work in S40 phones like Nokia 6300, 7210, 5130 etc and older Nokia Generic OS based phones like Nokia 1600, 2600 etc). These phones can only be formatted through flashing/reinstalling their OS via data cable and computer. Only Symbian S60 mobiles have built-in support for the format codes. So format codes will work in all Symbian^1 (S60 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th edition) phones like Nokia 3650, 3660, 6600, 6630, 6680, 6681, 3230, 7610, 6670, 3250, N70, N72, N73, N75, N76, N77, N78, N79, N80, N81, N82, N83, N85, N86, N90, N91, N92, N93, N95, N96, N97, 5800, 500, C5-05 and other touchscreen phones plus the newer Symbian^3/Anna/Belle/Belle Refresh/ FP1/FP2 phones (Nokia N8, C7, C6-01, E7, E6, X7, Nokia 808, 603, 500, 700, 701 etc).
Now there are two methods to format the phone, depending upon the situation:
A. When the phone is in working condition:
Just press any of the following two codes at standby screen
*#7780# (restores factory settings by deleting everything from phone memory but without deleting any data in mass memory – the soft format)
*#7370# (deletes everything in phone and mass memory – complete hard format)
Phone will ask for confirmation and security code (default security code is 12345), enter it and wait for the formatting to complete. Bingo! everything in phone memory will be erased and phone will be back to factory settings. In
B. Hard Reset (Applicable for S60 2nd and 3rd edition phones only) – When the phone is not starting-up (i.e. not working after white screen or Nokia Logo screen) – then follow these steps:
1. Switch-off the phone
2. Press and hold following three keys simultaneously (Remember “All the three keys” simultaneously):
Green Key (OK or Number Dialing key), Star key (*) and Three key (3 number key)
3. While still holding the above three keys, press the power on/off key to switch-on the phone.
Still continue holding the three keys until phone boots up and the “formatting” screen appears. Now you can release the keys, confirm if asked and then wait for the format to complete. Now the phone will be restored to its original factory settings. The above format will reset the phone but most probably will not clear the operator’s lock codes.
Read Here to know about hard reset method for Nokia N97, 5800, 5230, 5530 and other touchscreen S60 5th edition phones.
Follow the instructions given below to format Nokia 9300/9500 (Communicators)
1. Restart the phone
2. Just when the “NOKIA” logo appears on screen, PRESS AND HOLD following three keys simultaneously:
Shift (Up Arrow key) + Ctrl + F
3. KEEP HOLDING them until phone prompts you whether or not to proceed with format. If however the format menu does not appear this way then remove and re-insert the battery and try again. If the phone display remains black after inserting the battery, press power button on the phone side while keeping the cover open and repeat the above procedure. After formatting, phone will reboot. If the screen remains white after reboot, press power button on the phone side while keeping the cover open.
NOTE: Before formatting the phone, make sure –
1. That you backup all your phone data to either computer or memory card as formatting will erase everything in phone memory.
2. That the phone’s battery is charged fully or is plugged in AC power because if unfortunately, the phone runs out of battery during format, then the phone may get permanently damaged and irreparable.
3. If your phone is infected with a virus (only applies to 1st and 2nd edition phones) then also format the memory card and scan it with a good computer antivirus like Avast.