You might be wondering how on earth can a template helps to increase visits/page impressions (and thus Adsense earnings) to your blog. Well guys that is true and I experienced it myself. Believe me, my visitors, page views and earnings got almost doubled within just two days of template change.
This is how all this happened – after one year of hard work (Social networking, bookmarking, blog directory submission etc) and over 100 quality posts I was very disappointed with few visits. Fed up with all this, I did a complete makeover of the blog including title change (From “DIGITAL PASSION OF A TECHNOMEDIC” to DiGi-PASSION”) and change of template (earlier I was using Sand Dollar template of blogger and to be frank the default blogger templates can easily be classified as “pre-historic” as per the current blog design trends). After searching and trying many templates (There are thousands of blogger templates available for free on many sites), I selected the “Premium brownish template” created by my favorite techie-blogger – many thanks to him for this great template. After uploading it took some time to make the necessary customizations in template (transfer of widgets, Adsense Ad placement, image uploads etc). But in the end it proved to be worth the effort when I saw my blog stats soaring.
I think the following hacks have done the trick for me:
1. Selecting a short and catchy title (Earlier it was rather too long to remember (“DIGITAL PASSION OF A TECHNOMEDIC”).
2. By default Blogger blog’s title appear before post title in search results (e.g. DiGi-PASSION:WANT TO GET A FUNNY SYMBIAN VIRUS???). This adversely affects visitor’s attention as the main topic is pushed away by the blog title (Worse if the Blog title is a long one) and you lose many potential visitors to other sites in search results.
The solution of this problem is to reverse the above pattern to “POST TITLE : BLOG TITLE” by tweaking template code. Fortunately this tweak is already there in this template.
Other features of this template that engage visitors to stay longer at your blog (In other words, more page views and more Ad clicks) are:
1. A beautiful built-in related posts widget.
2. Built-in page navigation hack (With beautiful buttons) below posts
3. Overall professional look with two right sidebars and favicon.
4. Availability of many Ad slots (Like above the header and at the side of title etc).
5. At the end of the post, there are links offering “Subscribe to my blog feed” and “link back” and many more.
So guys, now you know that blog’s overall look and feel is very important and you have to change your blog template to experience this. Remember to choose a template having all the above features. One more thing, you can add all the above features in your existing blog template also but unless you are a web designer it is always difficult to search for all the hacks and then mess up with the template code. Rather it is easier to search Google for Web 2.0 and professional templates and install a good one to see your visitors (Earnings) soaring……