Android Nougat OTA Update available for Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge in India
Good news for Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge users in India! After hitting many parts of the world, the much awaited Android Nougat update is rolling out now for Galaxy S7 duo in India too. The two flagship devices of Samsung – the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are dual SIM/Exynos variants in India. OTA (Over The Air) update is available for both the phones. We got the OTA update notification in Galaxy S7 Edge yesterday which read –
OTA Update Notification
Software version – G935FXXU1DQAZ/ G935FODD1DQAZ/ G935FXXU1DQAF
OS Upgrade – Android 7.0 Nougat
Provides new UX and various performance modes
Improved usability of the Notification feature and Quick settings button
Improved usability of the Multi-window
Improved Setting menu and AOD feature, addition of the Samsung Pass feature
Efficient space for installation of downloaded apps, improved speed of System upgrade and app installation
If you are using Icon Gear X, please make sure to update to the latest version before upgrading to the Nougat OS
Some apps that have not been optimized for Nougat might not work properly after the upgrade. In this case upgrade the app to the latest version via Galaxy Apps or Play Store
The functionality of some features may differ after the upgrade. Some apps may not function normally
Errors during the upgrade may cause data loss. Backup any important data before upgrading
Being a major OS update, this firmware is a big one – about 1.3 GB (1290.74 MB to be precise) for Galaxy S7 Edge. The size is also justified by the fact that Samsung has completely redesigned the whole UX in this update – icons, notification panel, settings menu everything. Besides many new features and functions have also been added
- Display resolution can be changed – select from HD, Full HD (the default), Quad HD
- Wallpapers and themes section has been added under Settings menu
- A new “Performance mode” option (and it’s toggle in notification panel) is added which enables high performance settings in the phone like QuadHD resolution and extra 10% increase in brightness. This enhances the gaming and multimedia experience at the cost of a faster draining battery.
- The “Smart Manager” app has been replaced by a much more useful “Device Maintenance” sub-menu under “Settings”
- Settings menu is more useful and accessible now with suggestions added under “Looking for something else” section at every sub-setting page
- Two new apps were installed with this update – Samsung Members and Samsung Pay (this service is expected to be launched in India soon). Samsung Members (formerly Samsung Community) is a support app with links to official forum and Samsung’s online care/support system.
- “Contact us” option has been added in “Settings” and in all other menus. When selected it opens the Samsung Members app.
- Blue light filter function has been added under “Display settings”. It’s toggle is also available in notification panel.
- Software update function has been added as a sub-menu under the main “Settings”, separating it from “About device” section
- A search bar has been added in the app drawer to search apps
- The notification panel is now a two-step drop-down – with one finger swipe-down a single row of toggles with notifications are shown while swiping again (or a two finger swipe) opens the full notification panel with all toggles and brightness slider
- A “Search phone and scan for nearby devices” search bar has been added in the notification panel
- New simplified camera app with settings and filters accessible via swiping left/right gestures. A Pro/Manual mode has been added
These are some of the striking changes we have noticed so far. After updating, you will be surprised to see the radically different UI than the same old Samsung TouchWiz. Starting with these flagships the new UX will start appearing in many more Galaxy devices in 2017.
How to update?
You can update your Galaxy S7/ S7 Edge Over The Air via phone’s built in update check function – go to “Settings – About device – Software update – Check for/Download updates manually”
Or you can also update it via PC using Samsung’s “Smart Switch” software. We have also made a video of this update process to help you in this matter (Watch at the end of this post).
Before updating the phone, it is recommended
To backup your important data first
To make sure that phone memory has enough free space (at least 5 GB) for the firmware to copy/expand files
Phone battery should be sufficiently charged (more than 50% recommended) to let the update process complete without interruption