Fortunately there are quite a few Nokia service softwares available out there for general public like Phoenix, JAF, Nokia Care Suite etc. These tools can be used to solve Nokia mobile phones common firmware related problems and perform many other useful tasks. I have described most of these softwares in older posts. Here I will detail another Nokia service software called NSS Pro. NSS (Nokia Service Software) Pro is a very useful and easy to use tool (for Windows), with which you can perform a multitude of Nokia phones related service tasks using your computer at home. Below is a an overview of main features of NSS Pro and what you can do with it –
1. Detailed phone info – NSS Pro can read (and even write some of the values) various phone details like IMEI, product code, production serial no., hardware version, SW version, MCU version etc. Besides NSS can also read permanent memory (keys and values) of the phone and saves this info as a .pm file
2. Factory reset/flash/software update – with NSS Pro you can easily reset/format your phone. Many reset options are available in NSS like full factory, user data, leave factory, production tune and service center. To reset the phone select the reset type from drop down list and click “Reset” button and let NSS Pro finish the process. Under reset menu there is also an option to update phone’s software (if update is available). In addition you can also flash your Nokia phone using NSS Pro, if you have phone’s firmware files (official or custom firmware).
3. Show/reset security code of supported phones – it is one of the most useful functions available in NSS. There is an option to read “User Code” (security code of the phone) at the “Phone Management/Basic Actions” window. Just connect your phone with computer using USB cable and launch NSS Pro – when NSS detects your phone click “User Code” button – NSS will search for the code in phone’s permanent memory and show it at the “Phone management” window. I have tested many Nokia phones with NSS to find out their security codes and it passed with all older phones (S40 and Symbian upto S60v3). However NSS could not read security codes of Symbian touch phones (S^3/Anna/Belle). I have not tested any Nokia Lumia phone with NSS Pro.
However you can reset security code of any Nokia phone using NSS Pro – just do a “Full factory” reset under “Phone Management/Basic Actions” window and your phone’s security code will be reset to default. If this does not work then boot the phone into “Local mode” and do a “Full factory” reset again and security code should be gone now!
4. SIM Unlock – NSS can also read/reset/restore phone’s SIM lock code (if the phone is locked to a specific network provider’s SIM). It’s an advanced function and should be performed very carefully.
5. Test phone’s key functions or perform other tasks in various modes – NSS can boot phone into various service modes – Normal, Test, Local, OSBL, CareFTM and WinDiag.
Besides these main functions, there is much more you can do with Nokia Service Software Pro. So download it from here and be a power user. NSS Pro is compatible with Windows XP, Vista,7 and 8.
Note – if a phone is not detected by NSS Pro then most probably phone drivers are not installed in your computer. To solve this issue just install latest version of Nokia Suite software (or older Nokia PC Suite) in your PC, all supported Nokia mobile drivers will install along with it. Nokia Suite can be downloaded free from here.
NSS Pro supports almost all Nokia mobile phones – Asha, S40, Symbian S60 and Lumia Winodws Phone devices.